Dogen Sangha Blog

  by Gudo NISHIJIMA

Japanese / German

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Sleepy Feet

Hello,

I have a simple question. When I do Zazen, my feet fall asleep. They go completely numb. I worry this is not good, is it so?

I can press down very hard and force blood into my feet which sometimes keeps them awake, but this furious pressure seems as bad as feet asleep. I normally sit for 30 minutes now, but I get concerned about my feet and stop meditating. I want to sit for longer, what should I do?

Thank you,

Matthew.

2 Comments:

Blogger GUDO NISHIJIMA said...

Dear Matthew San,

Thank you very much for your question, and my answer is as follows.

When we begin Zazen for the first time, almost everyone will feel numbness on the feet or legs usually.

In that case it is better for us to change the order of crossed legs right and left, when it is necessary.

By practice of Zazen our feet and legs will become accustomed, then the problems will be solved day by day.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima

1:08 PM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Barry said...

Dear Nishijima Roshi,

What is the essential practice when we stand up from Zazen?

Respectfully,
Barry

12:04 AM, December 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home